HISTORY OF THE ILLOWA COUNCIL

On January 24, 1908 the Boy Scouts movement began in England.  On February 8th, 1910 the Boy Scouts of America had officially become established as an organization for boys.  As the program grew from community to community the need to pool resources for programming created Councils.  As the years went on Councils needed to come together and continue to pool resources to create new opportunities to better serve the youth in our area.  Below you will see that over 20 Boy Scout Councils covered the area currently being served by the Illowa Council.  We are celebrating the 50 years of service the Illowa Council has provided to the Scouting program in our area. 

 


#133 ILLOWA COUNCIL

1967 - Present

Headquarters: Davenport, Iowa

Counties Served: Iowa - Jackson, Clinton, Scott, Cedar, Muscatine

Illinois - Rock Island, Mercer, Henry, Bureau, Stark, Knox, Warren, McDonough

Scout Camps:

Loud Thunder Scout Reservation - Illinois City, IL

Minneyata (Beside Happy Waters) - Dixon, IA 1923 - 1994

Order of the Arrow Lodge:

#38 Konepaka Ketiwa (Land of the Flying Eagle) 1994 - Present


#170 Muc Kis Sou (Chief's Name) 1967 - 1994




Iowa Side Council History

#176 Davenport Council

1915 - 1928

Headquarters: Davenport, Iowa

Counties Served: Iowa - Scott

Scout Camps:

Springbrook Country Club, DeWitt, Iowa

Sagamore Hill, Beuna Vista, Iowa

Credit Island, Davenport, Iowa

Minneyata, Dixon, Iowa 1923 - 1994

Name changed to #176 Buffalo Bill Area Council





#176 Buffalo Bill Area Council

1929 - 1958

Headquarters: Davenport, Iowa

Counties Served: Iowa - Scott, Muscatine, Cedar

Scout Camp: Minneyata (Beside Happy Waters) - Dixon, Iowa 1923 - 1994

Order of the Arrow Lodges:

#313 Bison 1945 - 1952


#313 Golden Eagle 1955 - 1967


Merged with #174 Mesquakie Area Council to form #176 Buffalo Bill Council




#176 Buffalo Bill Council

1958 - 1967

Headquarters: Davenport, Iowa

Counties Served: Iowa - Scott, Cedar, Muscatine, Clinton, Jackson

Districts:

Hawkeye - Davenport, Black Hawk - ?

Two Rivers - Tipton, Hoover - Muscatine, Valley - Clinton

Scout Camps:

Minneyata (Beside Happy Waters), Dixon, Iowa 1923 - 1994

Iten, Maquoketa, Iowa 1930 - ?

Order of the Arrow Lodge:

#313 Golden Eagle 1955 - 1967


Merged with #134 Sac Fox Council to form #133 Illowa Council





#174 Clinton Council

1918 - 1927

Headquarters: Clinton, Iowa

Name changed to #174 Clinton Area Council




#174 Clinton Area Council

1927 - 1934

Headquarters: Clinton, Iowa

Counties Served: Iowa - Clinton, Jackson

Scout Camp: Iten, Maquoketa, Iowa 1930 - ?

Merged with #178 Dubuque Council to form #178 Dubuque Area Council




#178 Dubuque Area Council

1934 - 1935

Headquarters: Dubuque, Iowa

Name changed to #178 Northeast Iowa Council




#178 Northeast Iowa Council

1935 - Present

Headquarters: Dubuque, Iowa

Clinton & Jackson Counties pulled out to form #174 Mesquakie Area





#174 Mesquakie Area Council

1937 - 1958

Headquarters: Clinton, Iowa

Counties Served: Iowa - Clinton, Jackson

Scout Camp: Iten, Maquoketa, Iowa 1930 - ?


Order of the Arrow Lodge:

#376 A-Me-Qua (Beaver - Shawnee) 1948 - 1959


Merged with #176 Buffalo Bill Area Council to form #176 Buffalo Bill Council




ILLINOIS SIDE COUNCIL HISTORY

#134 Moline Council

1916 - 1927

Headquarters: Moline, Illinois

Name changed to #134 Moline Area Council




#134 Moline Area Council

1927 - 1959

Headquarters: Moline, Illinois

Scout Camp:

Mansur, Moline, Illnois 1928 - 1959


Order of the Arrow Lodge:

#170 Khu-Ku-Koo-Huu (Wise old bird in the forest) 1939 - 1959


Merged with #142 Fort Armstrong Area Council to form #134 Sac Fox Council





#134 Sac-Fox (Sac-N-Fox) Council

1959 - 1967

Headquarters: Moline, Illinois

Scout Camps: 

Mansur, Moline, Illinois 1928 - 1959

Na-Se-Us-Kuk (Loud Thunder), Illinois City, Illinois

Order of the Arrow Lodge:

#170 Wisaka (White Buffalo) 1959 - 1967


Merged with #176 Buffalo Bill Council to form #133 Illowa Council




#142 Rock Island Area Council

1916 - 1946

Headquarters: Rock Island, Illinois

Name changed to #142 Fort Armstrong Area Council




#142 Fort Armstrong Area Council

1946 - 1959

Headquarters: Rock Island, Illinois

Counties Served: Illinois, Rock Island, Mercer

Districts:

West Rock Island, East Rock Island, South Rock Island County, Mercer County

Scout Camp:

Na-Se-Us-Kuk (Loud Thunder), Illinois City, Illinois

Order of the Arrow Lodge:

#504 Saukenuk 1954 - 1959


Merged with #134 Moline Area Council to form #134 Sac Fox Council




#125 Galesburg Council

1919 - 1927

Headquarters: Galesburg, Illinois

Name changed to #125 Knox-Warren Council




#125 Knox-Warren Council

1927 - 1934

Headquarters: Galesburg, Illinois

Name changed to #125 Wigwam Council

Order of the Arrow Lodges:

#38 Shaubena (Chief's Name) 1928 - 1931

#38 Indian Creek 1931

#38 Lenapen Wil (Indian Head) 1931 - 1933

#38 Pokawachne 1933 - 1938

Name changed to #125 Wigwam Council




#125 Wigwam Council

1934 - 1940

Headquarters: Galesburg, Illinois

Order of the Arrow Lodges:

#38 Pokawachne 1933 - 1938

#38 Shaubena 1938 - 1941

Name changed to #125 Prairie Area Council




#125 Prairie Area Council

1940 - 1941

Headquarters: Galesburg, Illinois

Order of the Arrow Lodge:

#38 Shaubena 1938 - 1941

Name changed to #125 Prairie Council





#125 Prairie Council

1941 - 1993

Headquarters: Galesburg, Illinois

Scout Camp: Fellheimer Scout Reservation - Gilson, Illinois

Order of the Arrow Lodge:

#38 Inali (Grey Fox - Cherokee) 1941 - 1967


Area absorbed by #133 Illowa Council




#131 Kewanee Council

1920 - 1936

Headquarters: Kewanee, Illinois

Order of the Arrow Lodge:

#45 Pokawachne (A creek between two hills) 1929 - 1938

Name changed to #131 Indian Creek Council




#131 Indian Creek Council

1936 - 1938

Headquarters: Kewanee, Illinois

Order of the Arrow Lodge:

#45 Pokawachne (A creek between two hills) 1929 - 1938

Merged with #125 Wigwam Council




#140 Princeton Council

1922 - 1929

Headquarters: Princeton, Illinois

Merged with #131 Kewanee Area Council




#769 Illini Area Council

1927 - 1932

Headquarters: Macomb, Illinois

Merged with #125 Knox - Warren Council




Galva Council

1918 - 1920

Headquarters: Galva, Illinois

Disbanded




Geneseo Council

1917 - 1920

Headquarters: Geneseo, Illinois

Disbanded





This history was consolidated by Senior District Executive Zachary Beuthien.  It is by no means definitive or exact.  Please share missing information (dates, camps, missed councils etc.) to zachary.beuthien@scouting.org.  Thanks!