Mesquakie District's Heritage     

"Serving Clinton and Jackson Counties since 1918"

The name Mesquakie comes from the more commonly known Sac and Fox Native American tribe that lived in this area from the 1600’s to mid 1800’s. The name Mesquakie stands for "Red Earth People" but were referred to by early French traders as "Renards" or "Foxes" because the French had mistaken the Fox Clan as a representation of the entire Mesquakie Tribe.  The Fox name for the Mesquakie people stuck and they were refered to as Foxes by both English Traders and the United States Government.  Our District was once the Mesquakie Area Council #174 from 1937-1959.  We continue to carry on this tradition with our brand the Fox Head representing Mesquakie with a Boy Scout fleur-di-lis between its ears to denote our scouting heritage since 1911. 


Early Scouting

Scouting in Jackson County

       Established in 1911 by an Episcopal Church Pastor who served as Scoutmaster until 1914

       Established a summer camp at Pinhook Dam which was later known as Lakehurst    


DeWitt Troop 1 (1913-1917) 

       Established 1913  by Eric Anderson

       1914 Scoutmaster was R.K. Chapman

       March 16, 1916

      Troop 1 hiked 24 miles to Davenport, Iowa down rough country roads in full gear

      They reached Vander Veer park 5 hours later

      They spent the night in Davenport Scout homes

      The next day they toured the Rock Island Arsenal and then rode the train back to DeWitt

       Disbanded 1917 because men left for WWI


Early Clinton Scouting        

       Troop 1, Chartered 1917 by Sacred Heart Catholic

       Troop 2, Charted 1917 by Zion Lutheran Church 

       Push for professional scouters in the area caused creation of Clinton Boy Scout Council


Clinton Council #174 (1918-1927)

       Headquarters: Clinton, IA

       Chartered in 1918

       Spearheaded by

      George Dulany Jr., Louis Iten, Rev J.S. Leamer, and  William T Oakes

       1927 Changed name to Clinton Area Council 174


1921 Trip to Yellowstone           

·         June 20, 1921 Trip to Yellowstone

191 Boys and 86 Adults (including scout executives) left on 3,000 mile trip

Each boy had to earn $25 to pay for the trip

56 Cars and Trucks were used mostly Model T Fords

Every town along the way provided large parades, dinners, and places to sleep

·         Returned July 26, 1921

·         Considered one of Scouting’s greatest undertakings and last great adventure of the wild west

·         The United States Army met with Scout Executives who planned the trip to learn about the logistics the scouts employed to undertake such a large expedition

If you would like to learn more click here for a PBS special on the trip


Clinton Area Council #174  (1927-1934) (1936-1937)

       Headquarters: Clinton, IA

       Chartered 1927 with name change from Clinton Council #174

       1934 Merged with Dubuque Council #178 to form Dubuque Area Council #178

       Dubuque Area Council #178 (1927-1934)

      1935 name changed to Dubuque Area Council #178 (1934-1935) 

       1936 Clinton Area Council #174 Re-Chartered

       1937 name changed to Mesquakie Area Council #174


 

Lincoln Highway Safety Tour (July 6th – August 8th 1928)

         Coast-to-Coast caravan from New York City, New York to San Fransisco, California

        3 Scout Leaders and 4 Scouts were chosen from the entire 800,000 members

        Trip Sponsored by the National Council

        Placed 3,000 concrete markers along the Lincoln Highway in the interest of safety

        Arrived at Clinton, Iowa July 18

        Arrived in DeWitt, Iowa July 18-19

          Click here for more information about the Lincoln Highway Safety Tour

     Click here to see an article about a Lincoln Highway Marker found in DeWitt

  


 

Mesquakie Area Council #174 (1937-1959)

        Headquarters: Clinton, IA

         Chartered in 1937 with name change from Clinton Area Council #174

         Wapsi District

        1958 Absorbed by Buffalo Bill Area Council #176


Camp Iten (1930’s – 1970’s)


        7 miles NW of Maquoketa on Maquoketa River

       Land was donated by Joiner Family of Clinton

       Because of generous donations by Louis Iten Family, which covered initial construction and development, it was named Camp Iten

-         Camp originally had tents but was quickly replaced by cabins and a large dining hall

        Late 1950’s the camp buildings had deteriorated badly, so a group of men who had served as Seabees during WWII constructed a new 18 by 40 foot building on a concrete slab

-         It could accommodate 32 campers and the bunks were built by Troop 2 out of Clinton

-         The building was destroyed by fire 20 years later


 

A-Me-Qua Lodge #376 (1948-1959)

In the fall of 1947, the Mesquakie Area Council decided to start an Order of the Arrow Lodge.  They voted on the Scouts and Scouters they felt best qualified who attended Camp Iten that Summer.  This charter group was invited to attend the Ordeal investiture at the Davenport Camp Minneyata Lodge on September 13, 1947.  The following are the charter members:

Dave Loehndorf, Robert Dodd, Ben Determan, Jr., Phillip Hoffman, John Jargo, Milton Pieper, Rodney Wilson, Bill Long, Gene Noon, Harold Koppes, Elmer Lampe, Jr., Edwin Clark, Franklin Rounds, Dick Walling, Ben Fischer, Eino Lahti, Henry Weber, E.E. Holsington, and Ed Daley.

The Amequa Lodge was decided as our lodge name at the first Business meeting.  This is an Indian name for Beaver.  This beaver was chosen as our lodge totem also.  Ben Determan was elected the first chief, Bob Dodd Secretary-Treasurer, and Phil Hoffman Honors Master.

The following fall the first Brotherhood group to get their Brotherhood rank went over to Camp Lowden at Rockford, Illinois.  The lodge members chosen for this honor were - Ben Determan, Phil Hoffman, John Jargo, Bill Long, Gene Noon, Harold Koppes, Elmer Lampe Jr., Ben Fischer, Eino Lahti, Henry Weber, and E.E. Holsinger.

Chartered January 1948

Year
Chief New Members
Active Members
Ordeal Brotherhood Vigil

1951

 Robert Long
 8 55
50
 5  0
 1952

 Sam. William Jr.

 12  90  75  15  0
 1953  John Harden
 12  88  62  26  0
 1954  Jack Rockwell
 14  81  66  15  0
 1955  Jack Rockwell
 18  65  25  40  0
 1956  Jack Rockwell
 51  100  51  49  0
 1957 Curtis Powell
         
 1958  Curtis Powell
 35  96  35  57  4

In July 1958, Mesquakie Area Council was dissolved, and the A-ME-QUA Lodge #376 merged with Bison Lodge #313 (Davenport) to form a new Lodge Golden Eagle #313.

 


Buffalo Bill Council #176 (1929-1967)

       Chartered in 1928

      Name changed from Davenport Area Council #176 (1915-1928)

       1958 Absorbed Mesquakie Area Council #174

       1967 Merged with Sac-Fox Council #134 to form Illowa Council #133


Bison Lodge #313 (1945-1952)

       Chartered July 14, 1945

       Disbanded in 1952

       1955 Re-chartered and changed name to Golden Eagle

 Year Chief New Members
Active Members
Ordeal Brotherhood Vigil
 1945 Dan Hug
         
 1955 Phillip Fleming
25
25
 20 5
0
 1956 Kevin Burnside
 47  83  62  20  0


Golden Eagle Lodge #313 (1955-1967)

       1955 Re-charted and changed name from Bison

       1959 Absorbed A-Me-Qua Lodge #376

 Year Chief New Members
Active Members
Ordeal Brotherhood Vigil
 1958 Bob Curtis
79
190
118
71
1
 1959 Bob Curtis
 78  241  103  132  6
 1960 Bob Curtis
 98  274  115  150  9
1961
 James Ross
 127  295  145  135  15

       1967 Merged with Wisaka Lodge 170 to form Muc-Kis-Sou #170


 

Camp Minneyata 1920’s-1995

         Camp Minneyata means “beside happy waters”

         Located two miles NW of Dixon, Iowa at the north end of 52nd Avenue

          Buildings around camp were constructed as part of Scott County Civil Works Administration (CWA) projects

        1995 Quad City Conservation Alliance and Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation purchased the property from the Illowa Boy Scout Council

         Title to the property was transferred to the Scott County Conservation Board

       Now known as the Wapsi Environmental Center

camp minneyata map

 


Illowa Council #133 (1967-Present)

       Headquarters: Davenport, IA

       Chartered 1967 from merger of Buffalo Bill Area Council # 176 and Sac-Fox Council #134

       1993 Absorbed Prairie Council #125


 

Muc-Kis-Sou Lodge #170 (1967-1994)  

 

       Chartered in 1967 from merger of Wisaka #170 and Golden Eagle #313

       1994 Merged with Inali #38 to form Konepaka Ketiwa #38

  • Silver Arrow

It consisted of a silver arrowhead suspended on a red ribbon and worn around the neck.  This award was given to one youth and one adult each year.  It was given to those who showed leadership and gave unselfish service to our lodge.

Year Youth
Adult
 1980 Ed Dole
R D Dunkin
 1981  Jeff Stutterman
Don Littrel
 1982  Shawn McManus
James Neubaum
 1983  Ron Raes
Frank Howard
 1984  Thomas Pfannensteil
Richard Anderson
 1985 John Pfannensteil
Dr. Gerald Cooper
 1986  Nathan Christensen
Harold Bleuer
 1987 Doug Bargfield
George Sovers
 1988 Micheal Hartman
W Ray Lennen
 1989   Charlie Taylor Harry D Galley
 1990  Casey Kohrt
Art Mac Namara
 1991  Todd Kempf
James Winkel
 1992 Rian Harkin
William Mc Nulty
 1993  Cory Protor
Douglas DuBree
 1994  Mathew Furguson
Dr. Douglas G Leon

After the merger of Muc-Kis-Sou Lodge #170 and Inali Lodge #38 the Silver Arrow award was discontinued in 1995.

  • Founder's Award

 A Lodge may wish to honor an Arrowmen for exemplary service to the lodge.  A lodge may petition the National Order of the Arrow Committee to present two awards per year to any qualified Brotherhood or Vigil Honor member.  If the lodge petitions for two awards, one must be presented to a youth member (under 21 years of age).

 Year Youth Adult
1985 Thomas Pfannensteil
 
 1986  Jason Robbins
 
 1987  David M Johnson
James Winkel
 1988  Nathan Christensen
R D Dunkin
 1989  Michael A. Hartman
W. Ray Lennen
 1990  Todd A Kempf
Harold Bleuer
 1991  Charile Taylor
Harry D Galley
 1992  Harvey Rock
Kenneth Buersetta
 1993  Brian Petersen
James E Neubaum
 1994  Keith M Brus
Loren L. Robbins


Konepaka Ketiwa Lodge #38 (1994-Present)

       Chartered in 1994 from merger of Inali #38 and Muc-Kis-Sou #170

  •  Founder's Award

 A Lodge may wish to honor an Arrowmen for exemplary service to the lodge.  A lodge may petition the National Order of the Arrow Committee to present two awards per year to any qualified Brotherhood or Vigil Honor member.  If the lodge petitions for two awards, one must be presented to a youth member (under 21 years of age).

Year
Youth
Adult
 1995   Kenneth Buersetta
 1996 Al Folien & Shawn Schuller
 


     

  If you have more information you would be willing to share about our District's History please contact the District Executive