- Keep it simple. A one-page announcement ensures that the reporter/editor will not have to do much editing. (We have provided a template here.)
- Choose a catchy, easy-to-read headline for your press release.
- Be sure to include all pertinent details about your event: who, what, when, where, why, how
- Provide the reporter a name and contact information in case any follow up is needed.
- If possible, include a photo to tell your story. Choose a fun action shot that best depicts Scouting in your community.
Some Newspapers and Contacts in Our Council Community
Contact local AM and FM radio stations to find out if they have a 'spot' for local guests or callers to discuss upcoming events. Or ask the station to make a public service announcement on behalf of your unit.
Be sure to send a thank-you note to the reporter once your press release is published.