In today's world, if something isn't on the Internet or part of some sort of social media, it doesn't exist!
This generation of parents is hooked into and almost completely dependent on social media for information. They use Google to search for things, Facebook to share things, and moms are looking for and sharing ideas on Pinterest. Many parents use Twitter to follow their school activities and get other updates.
Your event HAS TO exist here . . . in the world of SOCIAL MEDIA.
If you haven't already, create a Facebook page for your Unit! This is an excellent way to involve families and create interest in new families to join. (Find out how by clicking here.)
- Create an Event to invite your friends with Scout-aged kids to the event and ask parents in your Unit to do the same.
- Share information about your Joining Night or other fall recruiting event in your status and ask other parents to do the same.
To create an event, follow these simple steps:
- Click 'Events' under 'Favorites' on the left side of your News Feed page;
- Click on '+ Create' on the Events page;
- From here, you can choose a theme or upload a picture, and enter the event name, location and other important information. Be sure to put in a fun description of the activities to get potential members excited about coming to your event.
Does your unit have a webpage? If not, consider creating one to post pictures, events, and other information. Current families can use this as a resource and encourage other families to visit it so they can see what's going on in your Scouting Unit.
ScoutingWire is the official blog of the Scouting movement. Right now you can find plenty of information on Unit recruitment and development on this site. Click on the links below to find resources to help your Unit grow!
BSA Social Media
BSA Marketing and Membership