What's New in Commissioner Service
Conrad Fruehan, National Office Staff
A Council Commissioner in one of our Minnesota councils came down to Texas
last summer for a weeklong training course—planned to bring his wife.
Because of some previous business plans she was to come down a day later. So
the first night, he sat down at his new laptop computer and composed an e-mail
to his wife. But he wasn't absolutely sure of her e-mail address. He thought
he had it right so he clicked on "send."
Unfortunately the message arrived at another woman's home—a very
recent widow. And after reading the message, she collapsed. Some friends
who were there to console her on the loss of her husband glanced at the monitor
"My dear wife, I arrived today after the long trip. Everything will
be fine. Let me just let you know that I'll expect you here
tomorrow. I should caution you that it is very hot here!"
As commissioners, let's be sure to send the right message to the right
- NEW COMMISSIONER WEB SITE
- Activated in February
- Overview for non-commissioners and new commissioners
- Commissioner Newsletter—past 3 years
- Outline and highlights of 5 basic commissioner manuals
- Illustrated info about 12 other commissioner resources
- Info about the 11 commissioner conferences at Philmont
- Presentations from the National Annual Meetings
- "COUNCIL OFFICER AND EXECUTIVE BOARD MEMBER ORIENTATION"
- Added a chapter on the council commissioner
- AN ACTUAL COMMISSION FOR COMMISSIONERS
- It is on display in the District and Council Resources
- A sample and instructions were sent to Scout executives
- It is called for in the Rules & Regulations of the B
- We recommend that council commissioner cabinets plan
- how to introduce it
- when and how to present it
- A commission is for persons properly oriented and who have
completed commissioner basic training.
- It is available from NDC for 95 cents.
- A new commissioning ceremony is suggested.
- FIRST-TIME SCOUT EXECUTIVE TRAINING CONFERENCE
- Training outline for a commissioner session
- Why commissioner service is important, what they must know
initially, and what the resources are to learn more
- COUNCIL NOMINATING COMMITTEE WORKSHEET
- Upgraded the description of the council commissioner in May
- NEW BROCHURE, "SELECTING A COUNCIL COMMISSIONER"
- To help council nominating committees and key council-level
Scouters better understand the role and stature of the
- Scout executives received samples in January.
- COMMISSIONER LINE OF PRODUCTS IN THE NATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
- Red activity shirt with golden commissioner logo
- Red nylon jacket
- Commissioner cap
- Attractive commissioner uniform nameplate—white letters on red with metallic logoUsable items such as
A commissioner logo added to the custom design catalog for local
council custom items
- Commissioner window pen
- Commissioner cup
- Commissioner portfolio
- Enamel hat pin
- Commissioner Neckerchief
- You have already heard about a new CUB SCOUTING EMPHASIS for
- I urge your immediate implementation of this emphasis
on serving packs.
- New cover design to give a NEW LOOK TO OUR 5 COMMISSIONER
- Three are complete. The remaining two will be printed t
his fall and winter.
- "DISTRICT SUPPORT ITEMS FOR 2003-2004"
- (Handout) on your chairs
- All basic resources for district operations